10 Best Beard Shampoo And Conditioner products For healthy beard
Do you know that the average man sprouts 25,000 facial hairs every 24 hours and adds half a millimeter of beard length daily? With that type of beard growth, it is very necessary to understand how you care for your beard- your chin sweater. Many men who have tried to grow beards gave up because they do not understand proper grooming and don’t know important beard care techniques which cause uncomfortable facial hair. Washing your facial hair with a beard shampoo will definitely give you a better result in terms of health, style, and look.
Even the most low-maintenance men and their beards need some styling and grooming from time to time. Beards have been exploding in popularity of recent and as a result, unhygienic beard conditions have exploded too.
This is why from time to time, you have to take care of your beards and invest in a quality beard shampoo and conditioner. To invest in a quality beard shampoo and conditioner is one of the smartest moves you can make, and it will help keep your beard in an amazing shape.
The best way to tame your stubborn beard is to use a good quality beard conditioner. Most of the Beard shampoo and conditioner products help your beard grow thicker, softens the hair and promotes growth. Combine a beard shampoo and conditioner with regular shaving, trimming and a good beard oil and other guys will be full of jealousy.
When you understand how to properly care for your beard and realize the difference between normal hair and beard hair, you will have a new spring in your step which would instantly step up your beard game.
For beginners, choosing the right beard conditioner and shampoo can seem like a hassle, and that’s why we have done the review work for you. So why don’t you relax with a bowl of popcorn or grab your favorite beer in your hands and read along.
Tips To Consider Before Buying A Beard Shampoo and Conditioner
Ever heard of the “I tried to grow my beard out, but I had to stop because of irritation” wailing? That’s a familiar word, yeah? This explains the irritation- when you stop shaving, your skin produces more dead skin cells that get trapped in the bristles of your new developing beard. These dead cells are responsible for the itching and irritation.
Washing your beard with regular hair shampoo will even make the irritation worse, leaving your precious beard dry, lifeless, and give you a very itchy beard.
Also, beard hair can trap smells such as food odor or cigarette smoke, which is definitely another good reason why proper care is needed to eradicate these odors and keep your beard healthy and feeling fresh.
You can solve this problem by washing your beard with a proper beard shampoo and conditioner. A cleansing conditioner will protect the skin beneath with an anti-itch PH formula.
There are many products available that are advertised as a beard wash. But on closer inspection, you will find they contain the same sulphates/sulphides, paraben, and detergents that are found in the shampoo for your head. Stay away from these. You should find a soap or wash that is devoid of all that crap. Your face follicles are not the same as those on your head, hence, do not treat them the same.
Here are some things to consider before buying your beard conditioner and shampoo:
- Cleansing capabilities– this one may seem silly; however it’s at the top of the list. If a beard shampoo or conditioner doesn’t clean your beard well, what’s the point? Look for soaps that have positive reviews and don’t be frightened if you come across the word “exfoliant” in the description while surfing for the best soaps.
Soaps with a good exfoliant may be rougher on the skin, but typically, they lather well and do well to wash off any dirt and grime your beard has accumulated throughout the day.
- Lather– a good beard soap will lather fairly easy. Keep in mind that many handmade and natural soaps will not lather quite as well as off-the-shelf soaps, because the chemicals that make those soaps lather easily are not present in a beard soap of good quality.
However, you should till expect the soap to lather fairly enough so that you don’t spend an hour in the shower just trying to work up a lather.
- Moisturizing /Manageability offered- beards stay healthy and look great because of the natural oils present in the hair. Washing your beard will strip away some of these oils, and most of the off-shelf and mass-produced soaps you see do this very harshly.
A good beard soap doesn’t work exactly to moisturize (because anything that moisturizes it will likely get rubbed away while drying), but it certainly won’t strip away all of those natural oils in your beard. To know when a beard soap is doing its job, you will notice your beard will be very manageable. This means your beard will be free of tangles and with some volume. The roughness of a beard can be a symptom of dehydration, and I’m sure you would want to avoid that.
- Scent: this might come down to personal preference but obviously, you wouldn’t opt for a wash that smells like a trash can. Although most scents will fade quickly or be obscured by any conditioning product, you may apply a beard balm oil or oil to keep your beard smelling nice. Find a beard shampoo and conditioner with a fragrance that suits you. Research thoroughly before buying so that you would enjoy using it and do not be scared out of your wits while using it.
- Size/Construction: most beard shampoos/conditioners, if not all, are larger than your typical off-the –shelf soaps, and have simple shapes that are specifically designed for men. From a more economical point of view, the larger the size of these products, the longer you can use them. It is true that the soaps and conditioners designed for beards are more expensive than the mass-produced ones; however, you get the bang out of your money since you can prolong how long you use them.Scroll down further and read our review about the 10 best beard shampoos and conditioners for 2016.
Medicine Man’s Itchy Beard Wash
Packaged in a 4.7 fl oz. bottle, the Medicine Man’s Anti-Itch Beard Wash is manufactured by One DTQ. It is a 100% natural and organic shampoo that heals natural beard itches.
The anti-itch beard wash was specially designed to help men get through the itchy stages of growing a beard and to help keep whiskers free from dandruff, skin irritation and patchiness.
This product is packed with a lot of quality and is free of animal products and chemicals. According to side-talks, it is formulated based on old-world recipes.
The ingredients were specially selected and balanced to deliver a natural anti-itch solution to your facial hair and clear the path for strands to grow. For guys who suffer from skin irritation and want a game change in beard growth, it is a perfect option as it would help you master a perfect beard without hassles!
What About The Scent?
Its scent is soothing, refreshing, mellow and warm. You may find yourself deeply breathing in the fragrance that lingers on your hands, drawing in its calming influence of the lavender scent. Its lather is big enough for full and long beards as well.
- Comes in a 4.7 fl oz. bottle
- Contains the following ingredients: water, organic cocos, nucifera (coconut) oil, potassium hydroxide, olive oil, fruit oil, hemp oil, jojoba seed oil, sea fennel extract, lavender oil, rosemary
- leaf oil and Vitamin E oil.
- Eradicates itching: beard itch is a nightmare for any man growing a beard as it can make you look destabilized even in public places. You don’t want to go for a meeting or an appointment and distract everyone by scratching your beard with so much vigor, do you?
With the regular usage of Medicine Man’s beard wash, you can say goodbye to itching. The wash properly cleanses the face and beards and perfectly eradicates sebum and any other dead skins and grime that might have accumulated in your facial hair.
- Faster beard growth: while other beard shampoos might just cleanse, the Medicine Man’s beard wash doesn’t stop there. It goes a step further in speeding the growth of your beards as well. It achieves this by exfoliation which will free the follicles, so that it can grow into only healthy whiskers of beard.
- Lathers well: just a small portion of the Medicine Man’s anti-itch beard wash will be able to produce very big lathers which are white in color to help cleanse your beards properly no matter how long or thick they are.
- Leaking nozzle: the nozzle of the Medicine Man’s anti-itch beard wash might at times leak, causing a lot of wastage on the wash especially when you are using it. If the nozzle was designed in a better way to keep the wash inside, this won’t be a problem for anyone.
- It is relatively expensive compared to other beard shampoos and conditioners.
DIRECTIONS: simply apply a few drops of the beard wash to lather up your beard. To remove styling wax, get your hair thoroughly wet with warm water, work in the anti-itch beard wash, and leave it for a minute. Rinse and repeat if necessary.
Azbane Moroccan Argan Face, Beard and Hair Wash
This sleek and long 8.45 fl oz. bottle manufactured by Azbane USA, the leading brand in beard oil and other beard grooming products for men, contains a 100% pure three-in –one beard shampoo that can be used on your beard as well as your face and regular hair.
Azbane is an essential first point of call for daily beard maintenance, doubling up as a handy rejuvenating spray for the face and hair as well as beard grooming. Made from sesame and castor oils, this beard spray is not too heavy, allowing for a light, even spread and easy application.
The organic ingredient contained in the Azbane Moroccan 3-in-1 wash makes your beard feel soft, supple and shiny without greasy residue or skin irritation.
Its cleansing formula is so effective and yet gentle to the skin and hair, conditioning underneath them well and maintaining natural skin and hair oils so that it doesn’t become dry and brittle. Azbane shampoo is free from dangerous substances and chemicals like silicon, paraben, colorants, mineral oil and sulfate.
- Comes in an 8.45 fl oz. bottle (250ml).
- Contains a range of premium organic ingredients found in Morocco such as rosewater, argan, cactus oil, sesame and castor oil, prickly pear and oceanic seaweed extract.
- Can be purchased on Amazon.com at $20.00.
- Contains natural and organic ingredients: the Azbane wash contains natural and organic ingredients such as sesame and castor oils. This helps lock in the moisture and friskiness. It also keeps your beard and hair, making them easy to manage. Furthermore, the rosewater and oceanic seaweed in it awakens the senses and keeps the mind alert.
- Easy-to-use pump: the Azbane Moroccan wash comes in a hand pump spray bottle allowing for easy application.
- Therapeutic: the presence of the subtle but powerful oceanic seaweed and rosewater scent awakens your senses, keeping you feeling alert and refreshed throughout the day.
- Effective: this Moroccan oil is one of the best wash for moisturizing your skin both inside and out. It also has the ability to work against skin irritations like acne and flaking.
- It doesn’t cause any product build-up.
- Costly: It is relatively expensive, and if you are using this wash daily, then it is going to cost you a lot more considering the price.
DIRECTIONS: Use daily as part of your grooming regimen. Massage a few drops into your baerd and face. Lather, then rinse clean.
Beardsley and Company beard care products Shampoo and Conditioner Set
Beardsley Ultra beard Shampoo and Conditioner Set is specially formulated conditioners for facial hair. Beardsley Shampoo will leave your beard and moustache clean and fresh. The Beardsley Conditioner on the other hand will leave your beard and moustache unusually soft and smooth. It is not bitter like most shampoo because it easily gets in the mouth inadvertently while you’re washing your facial hairs.
Why is this product a special shampoo and conditioner for beards? Here’s the answer:
When treating their beards, most men just let whatever drips down from washing their hair do the job. Because beards are directly exposed to foods, drinks and smoking products, they deserve to be pampered.
This is where the Beardsley beard shampoo and conditioner come into play. The mild-flavored botanical formula makes it a pleasure for a man to wash and condition his beard as often and as thoroughly as he likes.
Specially formulated for facial hair by Beardsley and Company, this product is a two-bottle value, 8 fl oz. which leaves your beard and moustache clean and fresh, soft and smooth clean, leaving it with fresh smelling wild berry scents.
- Comes in an 8 fl oz. bottle.
- Contains Aloe Vera leaf juice, Pro-Vitamin B5, Vitamin E Acetate, Critic Acid, Glycerin and so much more.
- Can be purchased on Amazon.com at $29.95.
- Nice fragrance: the Beardsley Ultra Shampoo and Conditioner set is made with a wild berry scent which will make every moment in the shower amazing. It is not so strong to turn the entire bathroom into a potpourri parlor but just the mild scent will make you very pleased with the product. Its scent stays on even after rinsing before eventually dispersing.
- Effective: the Beardsley Ultra Shampoo and Conditioner set conditions your beard and ‘stache so deeply thereby, allowing it to be moisturized and hydrated properly. The end results are a healthy skin and a soft beard.
- Cedar box: the shampoo and conditioner are placed in a cedar box which keeps your cabinet organized and keep it safe especially from the reach of children. Its manly design and small size also make it easy to travel with especially if spending a few days away.
- Contains paraben: Paraben is a group of compounds used to preserve a cosmetic product. The Beardsley conditioner& shampoo set contains this substance which has been proven to cause some dangerous diseases especially when used for a long duration.
- Extremely pricey.
Beardilizer Beard Wash and Conditioning Shampoo
If you are using the same shampoo for your beard and for the top of your head, you are doing things wrong.
Facial hair is unique, and requires a specially formulated beard wash to keep it really healthy. The Beardilizer beard wash and conditioning shampoo will not only clean your beard and rid it of bacteria; it will also hydrate and soften your facial hair.
The natural, made in USA beard shampoo by Beardilizer has anti-bacterial properties to clean your beard. It also includes oils, vitamins, and minerals that help prevent skin irritation, add volume, and increase sheen.
The ingredients include Cucumber, Green tea leaves, ProVitamin B5, Aloe Vera, Black Castor Oil, Niacinamide, Saw Palmetto and other ingredients gotten from natural sources and many more that will fortify repair and purify every whisker of the beard and skin as well. It is made with a distinctive scent that is very relaxing and calming.
- Comes in a 5.1 fl oz. (150ml) bottle.
- You can purchase it on Amazon.com at $18.50.
- Manly scent: the scent associated with the Beardilizer Beard Wash is rather manlier with a refreshing scent that will leave you feeling very fresh and relaxed. Its scent is also not the kind to last for long after you have rinsed it off; so you can still wear your personal fragrance without another scent mixing it up.
- Healthy beards: the presence of green tea extract will help restore damaged hair, prevent split ends, and protect your beard from UV damage. The cucumber extract was chosen to be part of the beard wash because it helps the skin under your hair hydrated and irritation-free. The aloe leaf juice extract contains anti-fungal properties that help protect your beard from external toxins.
Other ingredients that will make the beards and skin healthy are vitaminB3, saw palmetto, rice bran extract and cluster beans which would prevent the accumulation of dirt and grime in the facial hair.
- It is relatively affordable.
- Absence of essential oils: having perused through all the ingredients used to make this product, the one thing lacking is the absence of essential oils which without essential oils?
DIRECTION: simply put a small amount of the beard wash on the palm of your hand and work gently into your wet beard. Massage into your facial hair until it is nice and lathered. Rinse thoroughly with water and towel dry.
Bluebeards Original Fresh Mint Beard Conditioner with Peppermint Oil
Bluebeards Conditioner is like no other! It is a great way to a mint-conditioned beard. The product is a wash-out conditioner made with natural ingredients like peppermint oil for the freshest beard possible.
Unlike traditional conditioners, the Bluebeards Conditioner is specially formulated to help keep both your facial hair and the skin underneath moisturized to help maximize beard health and minimize common problems like ingrown hairs, itch and “beardruff” (itch).
The 8.5 oz. Fresh Mint Conditioner produced by Bluebeards Inc. will leave your beard clean and soft, while adding shine to dull hair. The presence of real peppermint oil adds shine and awakens the skin while the burdock and fenugreek extract nourishes your beard and skin.
The wash has been tested on the gnarliest of beards.it is paraben-free and provides total cleansing whilst leaving feeling completely refreshed.
- Comes in an 8.5 fl oz. bottle.
- Can be purchased on Amazon.com at $18.96.
- Open pores: the fastest way to prevent skin irritations is by opening the pores where they come from. And that’s what the Bluebeard Conditioner does. It effectively washes the pores and makes hair grow faster, which will in turn allow the skin to breathe well.
- Softens beards: whether you are African, Asian or American, whatever your hair color or type might be, the Bluebeards Conditioner is actually able to soften it, especially when used regularly. This product softens your beards in a way that will leave you really impressed. When your beards are soft, they will be very easy to maintain and make you look more attractive as well. Who knows, this might just be when that lady you have been asking out will definitely tell you YES!
- Eliminates itching: at last, you have an effective remedy that has left you so uncomfortable and cranky. The product contains ingredients that will totally clean your beard and skin all remove all bacteria causing your beard to itch.
- The amazing peppermint oil fragrance present in the beard wash leaves you feeling refreshed.
- Alcoholic: the product contains Cetearyl Alcohol which is a no-no. Alcohol has the disadvantage of leaving your beard dehydrated and dry and causing breakage.
Zeus Beard Shampoo and Wash for Men
Zeus Beard Shampoo for men can be used to clean your hair on a daily basis without stripping your beard of its natural oils. Unlike regular soaps and shampoos that can damage hair follicles and leave the skin dry and irritation, this product leaves your beard soft.
Zeus Beard Shampoo manufactured by Zeus, is specially formulated for your beard and is made with mild, natural ingredients to keep your beard healthy, clean and shiny. Ingredients like the dragon’s blood has anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties to help fight acne by reducing inflammation and discomfort whilst calming the skin.
Chamomile cleanses the beard while protecting the skin. Green tea suppresses inflammation and reduces irritation. It is perfect for sensitive skin types.
- Designed in an easy-to-see 8 fl oz. bottle.
- Comes in either a verbena lime fragrance or the mild but manly sandalwood scent.
- Free from sulfate, parabens and other cruel substances.
- Can be purchased on Amazon.com at $16.00.
- Minimizes itching: the product is worth trying out as it allows you to go for days without itching. Zeus Shampoo has ingredients that will cleanse the skin and very well remove itching-causing substances in order for you to enjoy a healthy itch-free skin.
- Nice fragrance: it has an unforgettable fragrance that will fully awake your senses every time you use it. With the Zeus Beard Shampoo which comes in either verbena lime fragrance or sandalwood, your beard is definitely in for a treat! The sandalwood scent is mild and doesn’t smell much as time goes on after rinsing your beard.
- Maintains natural oils: all of the ingredients placed in this formula do not strip your beard and the skin of its natural oils, and neither will they cause skin irritations. Instead of your beards and skin remaining dry and weak, they will be nourished fully while maintaining all the natural oils inside.
- Soften beards: is your beard hard dry and brittle? Are your kids or spouse afraid to lean on you? Do not worry. The Zeus Beard shampoo has come to help you remedy that. With ingredients like green tea and dragon blood, each whiskers of your beard will definitely be softened and tamed so that you will be atop your beard game.
- It is relatively affordable.
- Big size: the size of the bottle is big, thus, making it hard to pack in a small bag, especially when you are going to be away from home for a few days or weeks.
Mr. Rugged Beard Wash Shampoo and Conditioner
Mr. Rugged Premium beard Shampoo and Conditioner is a two-in-one beard shampoo and conditioner that purifies hair and skin, washing away excess oils, dirt and sweat that can leave your beard looking greasy, clog your pores, and make your facial hair stink.
While it cleanses, the beard shampoo’s organic formula also deeply conditions, leaving facial hair perfectly moisturized.
It is made with a blend of premium natural ingredients such as tea tree oil for fighting dandruff flakes and easing itchiness, organic aloe, organic lavender, organic jojoba oil and Roman chamomile which provides a multitude of benefits for your facial hair and skin. Thus, it helps you wash and condition your facial hair to the fullest in one single step.
- It comes in an easy-to-see 116ml bottle.
- The product is manufactured by Mr. Rugged, one of the beards grooming companies that always make the best to cater for your beards and skins.
- It can be purchased on Amazon.com at $14.95.
- Soothes itching and irritation: the beard shampoo formula fights inflammation with organic aloe, organic lavender, Roman chamomile and peppermint essential oil.
- Encourages healthier and thicker growth: with organic jojoba oil, pro-Vitamin B5 and wheat proteins, this beard shampoo and conditioner helps to encourage stronger growth and keeps facial hair perfectly moisturized.
- Protects your beard: Rugged beard conditioner and shampoo contains Vitamin E and antioxidant-rich rose hip oil to protect your facial hair and skin from damaging free radicals that speeds up the aging process.
- The simplest way to cleanse: this formula acts as a beard conditioner and shampoo in one, leaving hair and skin fresh, clean and moisturized! The flip top lid allows for quick and simple dispensing.
- The presence of the tea tree oil in the formula improves manageability by softening and straightening hair growth leaves beard smelling fresh, works as a beard shampoo acne treatment by fighting bacteria and excessive oil production that causes breakouts and eases itchiness to put a final stop to scratching.
- It is affordable.
- Small size: this product makes me wonder why something as fantastic as this comes in a very small bottle. It is only four ounces in weight. This therefore means that if you use Mr. Rugged daily, you had better start saving up for another one ASAP as it won’t last long as you wish for it to.
Beard Buddy – All Natural and Organic Beard Wash
Produced by Los Angeles-based Beard Buddy, this product is one you can never go wrong with. It is completely all natural and organic. It is a genuine, beard tested and approved grooming product.
Beards experience some wear and tear and Beard Buddy Wash is just the thing your beard needs. It is packed with organic ingredients and essential oils that are specially tailored to cleanse your beard and the sensitive skin that lives underneath it; keeping it soft and smelling dreamy. I bet it would increase cuddling time with your partner!
This is a one of –a-kind beard wash that can actually become your life time buddy. It will never let you look messy as it softens your beards, eliminates beardruffs, stop itches and promises you a lot of beardy goodies. It has a warm and woodsy smell that leaves a very good impression in your mind.
- Comes in a 2 fl oz. bottle.
- Not tested on animals.
- Handcrafted in small batches in Los Angeles.
- Easy to use: this is probably one of the easiest shampoos to apply. All you have to do is apply a few drops on your beard, rub it gently by massaging it into the beards in a downwards way.
- Repairs damaged hairs: all the ingredients that will repair your beards and skin to keep it healthy always are inherent in the Beard Buddy Wash. It contains essential ingredients that will condition and moisturize your beard, eliminate itching and dandruff and prevents breakages or split ends.
- Softens beards: this lifetime buddy of yours will tame your beard so that they can be easily managed. Your whiskers will be placed where you want them and not straying in almost every direction.
- Pricey: for a beard wash that’s just two ounces, it sure costs a lot of bucks.
- Not-too-pleasant smell: while a few people might find the odor manageable, the majority of customers that have used it find it so terrible and unbearable. The woodsy scent might be manly but it’s not one you’d want to get stuck on you for long.
Spartans Den Premium Beard Shampoo
Spartans Den Shampoo is all about cleansing the skin and ensuring the beards are nourished from the follicles. The product has been richly packed with premium ingredients like aloe vera, jojoba oil, argan oil, coconut oil, grape seed oil and avocado oil which will ensure that while eradicating all traces of hair and grime from the hair and skin, the natural oils are not stripped off. This will in turn encourage healthy growth and development.
It is produced with a luxurious amount of fragrance that helps to awaken your senses as you wash your facial hairs.
- Handcrafted in small batches to ensure quality is maintained.
- Produced by Spartans Den, it comes in an 8 fl oz. bottle.
- You can purchase it on com at $13.99.
- Specially formulated: the product is specially formulated for all facial hair use unlike regular shampoo.
- A complete beard regimen: Spartans Den shampoo helps keep your beard in the best of health and makes it so easy to manage. Make sure to stock it in your cabinet.
- Pleasant fragrance: you are very much likely to be impressed with its classic fragrance. It captures freshness and seduction in an alluring and masculine scent that is not overpowering.
- Hydrates beards: do you know that your dry and itchy beard might be as a result of dehydration? The ingredients such as jojoba oil, grape seed oil, aloe vera and argan oil blended into this product will maintain all the natural oils in your skin and beard and ensure that water is not drained out as well so that you can once again have a healthy and full looking beard.
- Eases itching, reduces dandruff and dry skin flakes.
- Very affordable.
- Contains artificial chemicals: it contains some chemicals like paraben, sulfates. The fragrance used is also artificial. Although, products that contain these ingredients might not cause problems immediately, they will surely become a problem when you use them regularly.
Polished Gentleman Beard Shampoo and Conditioner with Organic Beard Oil
With the maker being a real gentleman, be rest assure that you would get your money’s worth. Do you want a beard fuller than a landfill in Northern California? Worry no more!
Polished Gentleman beard shampoo and conditioner contains a 100% perfect blend of nature’s finest and organic ingredients such as Biotin, tea tree, rosemary, aloe, argan oil, manuka honey, peppermint oil and eucalyptus, which will definitely ensure that your beard looks like a rabid mongoose no more!
It doesn’t only stop at washing; it also ensures your beard grows fuller, thicker, healthier and faster than the way cups run at any party. It promises to make your beard taste manly, after being saturated with the glorious and wonderful ingredients contained in the Polished Gentleman Beard Shampoo.
- Comes in a 4 fl oz. bottle.
- Can be purchased on com at $13.99.
- Thicken beards: finally, you can now purchase a beard wash and conditioner that would give you a healthy and thick looking beard at a very fast rate.
- Fragrance: the aroma the eucalyptus oil emits when you use the Polished Gentleman Beard grooming product is very outstanding. The scent is very soft, manly and wont mix up with any personal fragrance of yours.
- Three-in one product: you can only pay once and get a complete grooming kit which comprises of the conditioner, shampoo and a very attractive bonus; the oil! Ain’t that grand Immediately after washing your beard with the shampoo, you can fully condition your hair for some minutes before finally washing it out.
After patting your beard dry, apply some Polished Gentleman oil to give shine to your beard all day.
- Since Christmas and New Year is around the corner, it is a perfect gift for ladies to give to their spouses or anyone who’s got a bearded friend.
- It is very affordable compared to other beard grooming products in the market.
- Doesn’t work quickly: it will take you some time, even weeks, to start noticing that your beards have become thicker and fuller. Therefore, if you are looking for a quick fix remedy or something that works overnight, this is no magic wand from your favorite “godfather”.