While many men prefer to use shaving cream products today, the classic way to achieve a white and rich lather is to use shaving soap. Have you every wondered how they started to be used? Shaving soaps made their first appearance in the fourteenth century and were extremely popular until World War I, when shaving creams became widely acceptable.However, shaving soaps are still held in high esteem today, for men who savor the traditional aspect of wetting their beard before shaving. Maybe you are from the group who stay away from shaving soaps, maybe using them never crossed your mind till now, but we are adamant to change your view on these shaving aids that will up your shaving game. Yes you guessed right.We will discuss the best shaving soaps today.
What Makes a Quality Shaving Soap?
A shaving soap of high quality contains a high level of fat (vegetable or tallow) and glycerin. Glycerin which is gotten from vegetable oil, is an essential ingredient for shaving soaps because it serves as a humectant, which locks in moisture, hence, hydrating the skin.
It is also an efficient emollient because it softens the beard and leaves the skin really smooth, soft and moisturized.
The fat content is also essential because it provides the necessary lubrication and protection needed by the skin when shaving. The fat would ensure that the blade glides over the surface of the skin without irritating it or causing any other injury or harm.
When you decide to purchase a shaving soap, look for a soap that has high-fat content (about 30-50 percent), although not all manufacturers reveal their fact content on the product. Unfortunately, in order to determine how high the fat content in a product is, you have to purchase the product first.
Beware of cheap shaving soaps! They might be inexpensive, but some of them can be bath or shower soaps in disguise. They don’t provide any protection during the shaving process and would eventually leave your beard dry and irritated. You are searching for the best shaving soap after all, aren’t you? You have to make the splurge to get the best results and make it worthwhile.
Good quality soaps, although expensive, are often triple-milled in order to increase the richness of the lather and produce tremendous creamy foam, which leaves your skin extremely smooth.
Here is a compilation of the top five best shaving soaps to check out and stock up your cabinet with.
Best Shaving Soap
Barber Shop Shaving Soap
Produced by Bebe Lush Inc., Barbershop Shave Soap is a three tin gift set that helps you discover how to transform your morning shave into a luxurious treat!
Do you ever feel that shaving every morning is a ritual you had rather not do without? Or you want your spouse to really appreciate your skin after shaving? This product guarantees you a total transformation.
Designed in a 4 oz. tin, this product is a richly scented shaving soap combined with a perfect blend of natural ingredients such as glycerin, luxurious shea, cocoa and mango butters that promises you extra goodies and rich, thick and slick lather.
The old time barber shop shaving soap for men will not dry out your skin. It is specially handcrafted, has an amazing combination of pure essential oils derived from cassia, cedar wood and clove which gives it a woodsy and spicy natural fragrance and colored with natural cocoa powder which leaves a little froth on top. All these beneficial features make it amongst the best shaving soaps in the market.You can get it on Amazo.com for $30.95.
- It is a natural shave soap free from synthetic fragrances, dyes and preservatives.
- The lather builds up quickly which allows your blade or razor to glide across your skin.
- It has an amazing smell.
- It softens your skin as leave it as smooth as a baby’s.
- It contains healing and moisturizing properties derived from the shea, mango and cocoa butter.
- It comes in a small, compact-sized tin perfect for taking with you wherever you go.
- It’s a perfect Christmas gift.
- Compared to other shaving soaps, it is expensive.
- It doesn’t come in a jar which would have lent it better portability, since it would have been watertight.
Van Der Hagen Men’s Luxury Soap
This luxury shaving soap is produced in one small batch at a time through the Van Der Hagen’s unique kettle process, which might be a complicated process, but produces best results. This shaving soap, with its uniqueness, makes its way to rank second on our best shaving soap list.It is a 3.5 ounces hypoallergenic soap that contains about 10 percent glycerin plus shea, cocoa and mango butter which all work together to soften your facial and body hairs and leave your skin smooth and soft.
This shaving soap is a quality product that would work for any man especially those with a sensitive skin. It would even leave you with a nice, pleasant smell that would make you feel manly.
- It is vegetable –based and not tested on animals. Isn’t this one property alone enough to make it one of the best shaving soaps for animal lovers?
- Rich lather: it is very easy to achieve a rich lather with this shaving soap when used with a badger brush and mug/bowl. In fact, it doesn’t take time to generate lather.
- Manly scent: Van Der Hagen Soap has a pleasant, fresh and delicate smell that leaves you feeling manly and muscular. The scent is slightly light and refreshing, though, it can last for the whole day.
- The presence of the emollient shea, cocoa and mango butter softens beard for improved razor glide in order to achieve a comfortable, close and irritation-free trim.
- It is a good shaving soap for men new to wet-shaving.
- Relatively affordable.
- Leaves skin smooth and soft.
- It takes some practice to achieve a good lather.
- Although it works, it is not very well known by shaving soap users and this is why we are here, to inform you about hidden gems.
Henry Cavendish Shaving Soap with Shea Butter and Coconut Oil
We continue our best shaving soaps list with Henry Cavendish Shaving Soap, designed in a 3.8 oz. Puck Refill, the Himalayan shaving soap ensures that every time you shave leaves you happy. It is a moisturizing, round shaving soap that offers the old-time tradition of mug and brush shaving.
The Henry Cavendish Himalayan soap has an exotic fragrance and contains a blend of natural ingredients such as shea butter which revitalizes and moisturizes dull skin, soy extracts which offers comfort and condition for softer skin. Also, its high glycerin content contributes to its mildness and luxurious, silk lather.
- It easily creates rich lather: it lubricates your razor for a slick, cushioned and comfortable shave. Lather is long-lasting and doesn’t dry out.
- The addition of the shea butter leaves your skin feeling smooth, nicely moisturized and not oily. It won’t dry or irritate your skin.
- Economical: Its large size will last you for about three to six months.
- It takes 20 seconds to microwave and fits into any shaving mug.
- Its minimal light scent is refreshing and pleasant without being overpowering.
- It contains natural ingredients, contains no artificial color, preservatives or fragrance.
- It is relatively affordable.
- It’s got a hundred percent money-back guarantee.
- If you don’t get the water/lather ratio right, the lather becomes slightly drier, and causes your skin’s natural oils to get pulled to the head of your razor, which might cause some skipping and neck burn.
Proraso Shaving Soap
Italian-made Proraso shaving soap is really popular among men who like to shave the traditional way. Proraso has been producing top-notch shaving products for many years now; allowing men to get a good, clean shave, and continues to be a very popular choice because of its good quality.
Proraso Shaving soap with eucalyptus and menthol fragrance is a shaving soap that gives you a nice cooling and refreshing experience when you are shaving in the morning. The presence of the eucalyptus and menthol also invigorates the skin.
Made with a special “hot soap” process, paraso sapone da barba is left to mature in small batches for 10 days, during which the moisture evaporates, and the product becomes solid, more concentrated and perfect for a professional shave with a brush. It comes in a 5.2 oz. bottle.
This shaving soap will protect your skin before, during and after your shave, so that you can get a nice, close shave without having to suffer any nicks or razor burns. Proraso shaving soap gives a good lather so that your shaving can become easier and quicker. The secret to getting a close shave with this product is to make a really good, thick and dense lather which will ensure that the blade easily glides over the skin without any pulling or dragging.
- Really good buy: you get your money’s worth when you buy this shaving soap. You get a really good amount of lather from using little of the soap, which makes it last longer.
- Rich lather: the lather sticks to the skin and stays put while you shave, without dripping, nicking or causing a mess. It lubricates really well and doesn’t leave any residue on your razor or face which some shaving products do.
- The eucalyptus and menthol present in the soap leaves you feeling invigorated and fully refreshed.
- The shaving soap comes in a 150ml bowl.
- It contains no mineral oils or artificial colors.
- Its nourishing botanical extracts and natural oils protects the skin before, during and after shaving and guarantees you an irritation-free experience.
- It is very affordable when compared to other soaps on the market.
- You do not want to get the eucalyptus and menthol version of this soap close to your eyes.
- Some buyers claim it is overly scented.
How to Use Proraso Soap
After washing the face with warm water, wet the shaving brush sufficiently, shaking to get the drips out before you can start rubbing it on the soap in circular motions. Before you know it, you will have produced a really thick and creamy lather, which you can apply to your beard with your brush and proceed to shave. If you need to repeat, you will have plenty of lather for second application.
Van Der Hagen Premium Shave Soap
On our best shaving soaps list. we reached number 5, Van der Hagen Premium Shave Soap. The Van Der Hagen premium shaving kit is really a starter kit made especially for those who haven’t experienced the traditional way of shaving. The product contains a hypoallergenic shaving soap, hand dipped ceramic bowl and a boar bristle shave brush.
The shaving soap lathers well and serves as a good introduction to authentic shaving. When used with the boar bristle shaving brush, the lather is easily achieved and spreads well.
Before you start shaving, place the cake or soap in the ceramic bowl and microwave it for no longer than 30 seconds. This will ensure that the soap fits the bowl perfectly. Be careful not to microwave it than the stipulated time, as the soap melts quickly. If you want Van der Hagen Premium Shave Soap, of the best shaving soaps on the market, that comes as a vintage looking kit to be delivered to your door immediately.
- The soap and brush work well together to help you achieve a good lather.
- Ceramic bowl: while this is nothing special, it is microwaveable and does all you need the bowl to do. It makes lathering easier by holding the shaving soap in place and fits comfortably in your hands. The shallow bowl also reduces mess and prevents tipping.
- Great value for money: for around $20, you will most likely not find an authentic shaving soap that comes with a bowl and boar bristle brush. Saves you money trying to buy each shaving item separately.
- It is a nice starter kit gift for those newly introduced to the traditional shaving process.
- It helps to moisturize and softens even the toughest of beards.
- Brush durability: concerning the brush, there are two complaints lodged. First is that a small number of hairs fall out of each shave and sometimes stick to the face. The second is that the bristles of the brush falls out in chunks and needs to be replaced in few days or months.
- The soap is quite small and therefore won’t last longer.
- The scent of the soap isn’t very distinctive.
- A brush stand isn’t included in the kit. Although, it’s not necessary, a brush stand can provide great organization and look good in the bathroom.